MODULUS OF ELASTICITY OF A ROCK OBTAINED FROM THE MODULI OF ELASTICITY OF ITS CONSTITUENTS
Studies (based on two examples) show that close agreement exists between the modulus of elasticity given by the weighted harmonic mean calculated from the moduli of elasticity of the mineral constituents of the rock (the weights being the percentages in which the menerals occur). Formulae are given for the calculation of the modulus of elasticity, and for the calculation of the standard deviation of the modulus of elasticity. The case is considered of mica porphyritic granite whose modal composition was obtained by the micropetrographic analysis of 6 thin blades. The mean moduli of elasticit, their variation coefficients and measurements of both mineral and rock are tabulated. Good agreement was found between these values and those obtained by application of the given formulae. A case is also described of granite pegmatite whose modal composition consisted of quartz and feldspar.
National Civil Engineering Laboratory, PortugalAvenida do Brasil
Lisbon 5, Portugal
- Rodrigues, F P
- Publication Date: 1974
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 9 p.
- TRT Terms: Feldspar; Formulas; Geological surveying; Granite; Minerals; Modulus of elasticity; Petrography; Quartz; Rocks
- Old TRIS Terms: Petrographic investigations
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00097148
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: No. 453
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 10 1975 12:00AM