PERFORMANCE SIMULATION OF A DIESEL PISTON AND RING SYSTEM
Analytical models of piston movement, gas flow in the ring belt, and piston ring movement are described and integrated to form a system simulation which was implemented on a digital computer. Sample computer solutions are given to illustrate the models' usefulness in predicting the effect of design and operating variables upon specific performance characteristics. The paper emphasizes the need for a ring face hydrodynamic oil film analysis which considers ring tilt and lateral loading of the ring by groove friction. As such an analysis becomes available, it can be added to the present simulation.
- Presented at a meeting held Sept. 8-11, 1975.
Warrendale, PA USA 15096
- Bishop, G R
- Leavitt, A H
- Publication Date: 1975
- Features: References;
- TRT Terms: Combustion chambers; Diesel engines; Lubrication; Pistons (Engines); Simulation
- Subject Areas: Maintenance and Preservation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00129143
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: 750768 Preprint
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 19 1976 12:00AM