STATIC SCREENS FOR SEA GOING GRAVEL DREDGERS
The depletion of land-based resources for gravel has made it economically possible to obtain large quantities of gravel from the potential resources on the continental shelf. The sand/gravel mixture obtained by seagoing stationary or trailing-suction hopper dredgers contains a considerable amount of sand and it is necessary to screen the mixture before loading the hopper with gravel. The Mineral Technological Institute, the dredging laboratories of IHC Holland, has developed a very simple static screen. In this paper the tests carried out by MTI are presented and the effects of parameters such as screen width, screen slope, screen length and different types of screen deck are discussed. The application of such a screen aboard trailing suction hopper dredgers is discussed and recommendations for optimum parameters of the screen are made.
- Paper H-2 from BHRA Fluid Engineering Symposium, University of Kent, Canterbury, England.
British Hydromechanics Research AssociationCranfield MK43 0AJ, Bedfordshire, England
- van Dooremalen, JJCM
- van Waalwijk van Doorn, S C
- Publication Date: 1975-9
- TRT Terms: Dredges; Dredging; Gravel; Hoppers; Loading and unloading
- Old TRIS Terms: Dredge hopper loading; Gravel dredgers; Hopper dredges
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00128442
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: British Hydrodynamics Research Association
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 29 1975 12:00AM