FOLLOW-UP STUDIES OF THE SCAFT GUIDELINES 1968: ANALYSIS OF ACCIDENTS IN RESIDENTIAL DISTRICTS WITH TRAFFIC SEPARATION, GOETEBORG 1969-72
UPPFOELJNING AV RIKTLINJER SCAFT 1968 OLYCKSANALYS FOER TRAFIKSEPARERADE BOSTADSOMRAADEN
The purposes of the study were to compare road safety in new residential districts with traffic separation but with different lay-outs and to analyze the location of accidents and their connection with the traffic environment. Accident and population statistics were collected for 1969-72 for eight different more recent residential districts with traffic separation outside Gothenburg. These districts were found to have a high degree of road safety in terms of number of accidents involving personal injury compared to older districts with through traffic and a mixture of car traffic and pedestrians. Those more recent districts with internal feeder traffic had annual accident rates double those of more recent districts with external feeder traffic. Hardly any accidents had occurred on short service streets. A formula is presented where the number of accidents is A function of traffic generated measured in vehicle km. Many individual accidents can according to the authors probably be explained by mistakes and drawbacks in the lay-out of the traffic environment.
Chalmers University of Technology, SwedenDepartment of Applied Mechanics/CHARMEC
- GUNNARSSON, S O
- Markstedt, L
- Norman, A
- Publication Date: 1973
- Features: Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 108 p.
- Issue Number: 64
- TRT Terms: City planning; Crash rates; Environment; Highway design; Highway safety; Injuries; Layout; Mathematical models; Pedestrian safety; Pedestrian-vehicle crashes; Pedestrians; Residential areas; Safety; Trip generation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Traffic segregation
- Old TRIS Terms: Lay-out
- ITRD Terms: 1612: Accident rate; 2455: Environment; 663: Generated traffic; 2855: Highway design; 2163: Injury; 2885: Layout; 6473: Mathematical model; 1733: Pedestrian; 307: Residential area; 1665: Safety; 350: Segregation (traffic, pedestrians); 354: Town planning
- Subject Areas: Highways; Pedestrians and Bicyclists; Planning and Forecasting; Safety and Human Factors; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00097061
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport and Road Research Laboratory (TRRL)
- Report/Paper Numbers: R&D Rpt.
- Files: ITRD, TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 24 1975 12:00AM