A DATA ACQUISITION SYSTEM FOR RESEARCH STUDIES OF DRIVER PERFORMANCE IN REAL TRAFFIC SITUATIONS
This paper describes a real-time data acquisition system and instrumentation installed in a full-size North American automobile for the purposes of research studies of driver performance in real traffic situations and under various conditions of driver stress. The basic parameters recorded are distance travelled and three primary control movements - sterring wheel, accelerator and brake. Provision is also made for vehicle yaw measurement, driver's pulse rate and perceived illumination level in night-driving tasks. Other parameters may be recorded as dictated by project requirements. The paper presents summaries of the test conditions and principal findings of the various projects carried out at the National Research Council of Canada during the past three years, in which the frequency and magnitude of steering wheel movements have formed the basis for assessment of driver performance and task difficulty. The application of power spectral analysis techniques appears most promising, and it is in this content that the advantages of a highly flexible real-time data acquisition system are most apparent.
NATIONAL AERONAUTICAL ESTABLISHMENTOTTAWA, Canada
- Sewell, R
- Perratt, C I
- Publication Date: 1975-1-27
- Features: Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 40 p.
- TRT Terms: Accelerators (Devices); Brakes; Data collection; Driver performance; Drivers; Heart rate; Night vision; Personnel performance; Power spectra; Real time control; Steering wheels; Yaw
- Old TRIS Terms: Accelerators; Pulse rate; Real-time systems
- ITRD Terms: 5405: Acceleration; 9001: Behaviour; 1874: Braking; 1772: Driver; 3674: Equipment; 2037: Heart; 8555: Information documentation; 9033: Inside; 698: Journey; 6488: Length; 9052: Night; 2229: Perception; 2205: Skill (road user); 1307: Steering wheel; 2234: Stress (psychol); 8122: Usa; 1646: Vehicle handling
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00097037
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Highway Safety Research Institute
- Report/Paper Numbers: LTR-ST. 751 R&D Rept.
- Files: ITRD, TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 27 1977 12:00AM