RAPID FROST SUSCEPTIBILITY TEST FOR MASSACHUSETTS SOILS (EVALUATION OF THE FREEZING SOIL HEAVE STRESS SYSTEM IN DETERMINING FROST SUSCEPTIBILITY)
The Freezing Soil Heave Stress System has been developed as a possible method of determining the frost susceptibility of soils. Tentatively, the characteristic shape of the heave stress versus log time curve is being used as an indicator. The slope and the duration of the linear portion of this curve is proposed as a means to rate the frost susceptibility of soils. Testing done at the Massachusetts Department of Public Works has been aimed at evaluating this method and determining the areas which need further investigation. Initial results indicate that the method is not a measure of the soils ability to deliver water to the freezing zone, but may be a measure of its ability to support ice lensing, possibly an indicator of the pore configuration of the soil. Before its implementation into design it appears that additional research is needed to: (1) evaluate effects of scalping samples prior to testing; (2) study of what is producing the characteristic curves to gain basic understanding; (3) test samples of known field performance; and (4) correlate results with other laboratory frost susceptibility tests.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/R126
- This study was sponsored by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Department of Public Works in cooperation with the U.S. Department of Transportation-Federal Highway Administration, Bureau of Public Roads.
Massachusetts Department of Public WorksResearch and Materials Section, 99 Worcester Street
Wellesley Hills, MA USA 02181
- Rice, D E
- Publication Date: 1974-12
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 6 p.
- TRT Terms: Curves (Geometry); Frost heaving; Frost susceptible soil; Ice formations; Soils; Stress gages
- Uncontrolled Terms: Ice lenses
- Old TRIS Terms: Frost heave; Soil stress gages
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00097003
- Record Type: Publication
- ISBN: R-12-6
- Report/Paper Numbers: MDPW SR 1-75 Interim
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 15 1975 12:00AM