EVALUATION OF A PROPOSAL FOR EMERGENCY AID TELEPHONES ON CICERO AVENUE OVER BELT RAILROAD
The evaluatory procedure involved a simple queueing analysis for which the necessary parameters were: hourly traffic flows for each direction; the roadway capacity in unobstructed flow with and without congestion caused by a disabled vehicles; and the times at which a vehicle becomes disabled, agency becomes aware of disability, arrival of service at disabled vehicle; and time at which disabled vehicle is removed and capacity is restored. A figure is presented which illustrates the interaction of these parameters. The mathematical relationships are discussed. Each incident that would occur during the year was analyzed. The congestion effects of each incident and the total savings of the year are tabulated. The results indicate that the vehicle-minutes of delay will be reduced by 48.6 percent of the total. Assuming an average of 1.2 people/vehicle and that value of time is $2.00 per hour, the total annual savings is $2055. Maximum amount of individual delay was reduced by 4 minutes, and the largest average delay was reduced by 3.13 minutes/vehicle. Assuming that traffic and other conditions remain constant, and at an interest rate of 6 percent, a project life of 8 years would be required for the project to break even with the construction cost and telephone rental. In conclusion it is noted that realistic usage levels of the phone will attain a benefit-cost ratio of about one; a hazard is created by people walking to and from the disabled vehicle; and the quality of service cannot be guaranteed.
Chicago, IL United States 60610
- Hoff, G L
- Publication Date: 1973-3-14
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 7 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Benefit cost analysis; Evaluation; Hazards; Highway capacity; Queuing; Traffic; Traffic congestion; Traffic delays; Traffic flow; Traffic incidents
- Uncontrolled Terms: Disabled vehicles; Incidents
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00096919
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Series #8 Tech Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 30 1975 12:00AM