DEMAND ANALYSIS FOR SUB-REGIONAL MASS TRANSPORTATION OPERATIONS AND INVESTMENT DECISION
A number of specific transportation investment and operations problems are described in which the prediction and evaluation of travel demand can appropriately be done through the application of disaggregate behavioral analysis. The given problem is identified, the possible investments or operational courses of action are described, and an approach to the necessary analysis is set forth. The discussion of the problem of provision of access at outlying rail stations given consideration to station parking, provision of feeder bus service, closing of suburban railroad stations, and spacing of stations on new systems. Distribution from downtown terminals in considered. Through the analysis of downtown distribution travel mode choices, several specific distribution problems can be approached: distributor bus problems, and distributor rapid transit service. Demand analysis of downtown circulation travel. The express bus versus rail service problems is discussed, as well as new rail services, non-radial rapid transit service, and special trip generators. Airport location and access, service for subsidiary population centers, new travel modes, and fare structure are reviewed, as well as some operational problems (frequency of service, skip-stop operation, acceleration and top speed of vehicles).
Chicago, IL USA 60610
- Lisco, T E
- Publication Date: 1971-6
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 32 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Behavior; Central business districts; Choice models; Evaluation; Express buses; Fares; Forecasting; Investments; Mode choice; Operations; Parking; Physical distribution; Public transit; Railroad stations; Rapid transit; Travel demand
- Uncontrolled Terms: Distribution systems; Feeders
- Old TRIS Terms: Modal selection
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Freight Transportation; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Public Transportation; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00096917
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Series #1 Tech Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 30 1975 12:00AM