PLANNING AND DESIGN OF BIKEWAYS
This publication which supplements information contained in the report "Bikeway Development Study", presents detailed information and procedures which might be utilized to plan and design bikeways. Bicycle and bikeway statistics are examined, and their relationship is noted to the number of accidents and deaths. The number of accidents is related to the amount of congestion and traffic in the area, whereas the severity is related to the travel speeds in the area. Bikeway presently in use are largely oriented toward recreational purposes. The results of a questionnaire survey (mileage used and bicycle count) related to existing and planned bikeways are tabulated. Three types of bicycle facilities, trail, lane and shared roadway, are defined and their respective advantages and disadvantages are outlined. Design factors to be considered when planning bikeway facilities are: length of roadway, aesthetic values, points of interest, terminal points, existing routes, and expected bicycle volume. The type of use expected of facility is also pertinent. The designation of existing roadways for bikeways is reviewed, and bikeway warrants are discussed. Three types of bikeways systems are identified (local, urban and regional) and their planning and design are discussed. Geometric design criteria (speed, grade, curvature, superelevation, horizontal and vertical clearances, drainage, pavement design, and cross sections) are reviewed; and different aspects of traffic controls are examined (at-grade intersections, grade-separated crossings, crossing of highway bridges, traffic signals, signs, and pavement markings). The appendix includes illustrations of typical channelization layouts, and the Virginia bicycle and bikeway statutes.
Virginia Department of HighwaysTraffic and Planning Division, 1221 East Broad Street
Richmond, VA United States 23219
- Publication Date: 1974-10
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 112 p.
- TRT Terms: Bikeways; Crashes; Design; Geometric design; Highways; Intersections; Laws; Planning; Recreation; Slopes; Speed; Statistics; Traffic; Traffic control; Warrants (Traffic control devices)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Grade (Slope)
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Design; Highways; Law; Operations and Traffic Management; Pedestrians and Bicyclists; Planning and Forecasting; Safety and Human Factors; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00096915
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Sep 30 1975 12:00AM