ANALYSIS OF CRANE ACCIDENT
The accidental toppling of a crane to be used in the fuel shuffle of the NSS Savannah from a pier at Todd Shipyards Corporation in Galveston, Texas, prompted this report. The paper's purpose is: first, to report the events surrounding the crane accident, and second, to evaluate the replacement crane. A lower tower with a heavier frame and conversion to D.C. diesel electric power were safety features of the replacement crane. A safety feature on the replacement crane not present on the original crane is a shorter boom with a more acute angle from the horizontal.
- This paper includes the independent engineering study conducted by Bernard Johnson Engineers, Incorporated, of Houston, Texas.
Todd Shipyards CorporationLos Angeles Division
San Pedro, CA USA
- Publication Date: 1966
- Pagination: 36 p.
- TRT Terms: Cranes; Nuclear powered ships; Prevention; Refueling; Safety
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00027000
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: Todd N-8
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jun 1 1973 12:00AM