THE MECHANICS OF ROLLOVER AS THE RESULT OF CURB IMPACT
This paper analyses the mechanics of overturning which occurs as the result of a vehicle colliding with a curb or similar obstacle. Because the duration of impact is short, the forces involved may be treated as impulsive forces and a graphical method may be used to determine the terminal velocities after the impact. The mathematical analysis is supported by results obtained from a film of a actual track test in which rollover was induced by sliding a car sideways into a curb. The motion of the vehicle after impact with the curb was also analysed in this film. During airborne motion, the car may be considered as a simple profectile and any aerodynamic effects neglected. /HSRI/
- Presented at the Automotive Engineering Congress and Exposition, 24-28 February 1975.
New York, NY United States 10017
- Jones, I S
- Publication Date: 1975
- Features: Figures; References;
- Pagination: 6 p.
- TRT Terms: Curbs; Film; Mathematical analysis; Overturning; Rollover crashes; Trajectory; Vehicle trajectories
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00096759
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Highway Safety Research Institute
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE #750461
- Files: TRIS, ATRI
- Created Date: Jul 15 1975 12:00AM