EVALUATION OF RESIDENTS' ATTITUDES AND EXPECTATIONS OF A PLANNED FREEWAY
This report presents the results of a structured survey in an area of Houston, Texas, that has been designated as a freeway corridor. The survey focuses on selected characteristics, attitudes and expectations of area residents with the primary pbjectives of (1) delineating key variables which predict resident's opinions of freeway construction, and (2) measuring potential socio-economic impacts of the proposed highway. The data are analyzed with regard to the following topics: characteristics of the respondents, neighborhood identification, awareness of freeway-related activities, anticipatory effect of the proposed freeway, and evaluation of transportation services. A capsulated summary of the findings depicts area residents as receptive to the freeway construction, with 70 percent favorable. Respondents who had 5-12 years of education, were male and/or Anglo were more likely to be in favor of the proposed facility than respondents who had either more or less education and were female or Mexico-American. Length of residence in the neighborhood and means of transportation were not significant predictors of freeway acceptance. It also was possible to isolate differential acceptance of the proposed highway by zonal location within the study site, which has implications for actual freeway location.
- Report was sponsored by the Texas Highway Department and the work was done in cooperation with FHWA, DOT. Research Study Title: Social, Economic and Environmental Factors in Highway Decision Making.
Arlington, TX United States 76011
- Burke, D
- Guseman, P K
- Buffington, J L
- Shaffer, D L
- Publication Date: 1974-11
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 73 p.
- TRT Terms: Attitudes; Data collection; Freeways; Neighborhoods; Public opinion; Residents; Social values; Socioeconomic factors; Surveys
- Old TRIS Terms: Community values
- Subject Areas: Economics; Highways; Society;
- Accession Number: 00096751
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: TTI Report 148-6 Intrm Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: 2-1-76-148
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 15 1975 12:00AM