DESIGN RECOMMENDATIONS FOR MULTI-STOREY AND UNDERGROUND CAR PARKS
Recommendations are presented regarding the design geometry, vehicular and pedestrian control, construction, aesthetics, lighting, heating, and ventilation, fire hazards, waterproofing, drainage, floor finishes and maintenance, of car parking facilities operated on the direct-flow ramp principle. The design geometry requirements are presented in four parts: the car, static requirements, layout, and dynamic requirements. Vehicular control at entry, within car park, in the collecting of fees, and at exit are considered, as well as pedestrian-vehicle conflict, ramps, aisles and lifts for pedestrians (including disabled persons). The materials and methods of construction for above-ground car parks are reviewed, and design solutions are detailed. The varying degrees of reliability in waterproofing particular areas are discussed and the bases for specified minimum falls for the finished surfaces of roofs and floors are set forth. The requirements presented here can be fulfilled only if the design intention is clearly stated in specifications forming part of the contract.
- Report of a Joint Committee of the Institution of Structural Engineers and the Institution of Highway Engineers.
Institution of Structural Engineers11 Upper Belgrave Street
London, United Kingdom SW1X 8BH
- Publication Date: 1976-2
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 60 p.
- TRT Terms: Automated vehicle control; Concrete finishing; Design; Drainage; Floors; Geometric design; Heating; Lighting; Maintenance; Multistory structures; Parking garages; Pay parking; Pedestrians; Ramps; Recommendations; Specifications; Underground parking garages; Ventilation systems; Waterproofing
- Uncontrolled Terms: Parking costs
- Subject Areas: Design; Highways; Hydraulics and Hydrology; Maintenance and Preservation; Operations and Traffic Management; Pedestrians and Bicyclists; Research; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00131594
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 13 1976 12:00AM