THE EFFECT OF PLANT POWER RATING ON MARITIME NUCLEAR CAPITAL COSTS
The direct costs for the first pressurized water nuclear steam generating system installed and tested on a merchant ship will range from an average of $6,500,000 at 20,000 SHP to $12,000,000 at 140,000 SHP. These costs exclude all non-repetitive costs and the power conversion system. Capital costs for "12th of a kind" plants will be between an average of $4,900,000 at 20,000 SHP and $9,200,000 at 140,000 SHP. Reactor manufacturer-supplied equipment and services costs are strongly dependent upon power level, ranging from an average of $4,250,000 at 20,000 SHP to $6,200,000 at 140,000 SHP. Shipyard-supplied equipment and services are only slight dependent upon power level, ranging from an average of $2,250,000 at 20,000 SHP to $3,000,000 at 140,000 SHP.
- This document is available for review at the Department of Commerce Library, Main Commerce Building, Washington, D.C., under reference number NUS-TM-ENG-143.
NUS Corporation1730 M Street, NW
Washington, DC USA 20036
- Publication Date: 1966-9-16
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 40 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Capital investments; Costs; Economic analysis; Economics; Nuclear power
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis
- Subject Areas: Economics; Finance; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00026963
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: NUS-TM-ENG-143
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 14 1973 12:00AM