EUROPEAN EXPERIENCES IN HIGHWAY NOISE (JUNE 1975)
A general summary is presented of experiences in England, West Germany, Switzerland, France and Sweden related to the development and implementation of methods for highway noise analysis, control and mitigation. Field examples are described of actions taken to solve specific highway noise related problems. All five counties were taking a 3-part system approach (reducing noise from individual vehicle; incorporating abatement measures in the development and operation of highways; controlling adjacent land use development). However, the greatest emphasis was placed and effective results were obtained through specific noise sensitive development and operation of individual facilities. The historical development and present status of each country's highway noise legislation and policy are outlined, and the research and technological development related to various noise prediction and control measures are reviewed. All countries were planning or implementing mitigation or abatement measures which were determined by their overall practicality, effectiveness, costs and public acceptance. Such measures included the following: reduction of noise levels at source; the protection of sites from noise; and the insulation of dwellings. France had also constructed a few full or partial roadway noise shelters on their access controlled freeway around Paris. Germany and England are considering noise shelters or tunnel sections in warranted situations, while some countries indicate that they would purchase heavily noise impacted properties if this was an acceptable and cost effective solution.
- Prepared with the cooperation of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development and the Highway Research Information Service of the Transportation Research Board. Contained in 1975 World Survey of Current R&D on Roads and Road Transport.
Washington, DC USA 20024
- Behrens, F A
- Barry, T M
- Publication Date: 1975-11
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 87 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Costs; Dwellings; Electric insulating materials; Highways; Implementation; Insulating materials; Land use; Laws; Noise control; Operations; Public policy; Research; Technology; Tunnels; Vehicles
- Uncontrolled Terms: Sources
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Bridges and other structures; Design; Economics; Finance; Highways; Law; Policy; Research; Society; Terminals and Facilities; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00131427
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-75-123 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-7657
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 14 1976 12:00AM