RECOMMENDED STANDARD SPECIFICATIONS FOR WATER MAIN AND SERVICE LINE INSTALLATION, NUMBER 637
In an effort to develop a uniform set of standard specifications covering underground utilities for cities, counties, and other public agencies, work is described related to the construction of water main and other building service pipelines utilizing plant fabricated pipe and other appurtenant materials installed for conveyance of potable water. Specifications related to materials (water pipe materials, cast iron pipe and fittings, fire hydrants, valves and housings, encasement material, mortar, concrete, and granular materials) are described. The construction requirements cover general provisions such as the establishing of line and grade, protection of surface structures, interference of underground structures, the removal of surface improvement, and temporary service measures. Aspects are detailed of the excavation and preparation of trench, the installation of pipe and fittings, connection and assembly of joints, water service installation, and the setting of valves, hydrants, fittings and specials. The disinfection of water mains, hydrostatic testing of water mains, pipeline backfilling operations, and restoration of surface improvements are covered, as well as maintenance and final clean up operations. Specifications are also set forth with respect to the method of measurements, and the basis of payment.
- This report was prepared in cooperation with the Minnesota Local Road Research Board.
Minnesota Department of Highways408 Highway Building
St Paul, MN United States 55155
- Benson, C L
- Raisanen, D L
- Publication Date: 1974
- Pagination: 39 p.
- TRT Terms: Building; Cast iron; Excavation; Facilities; Installation; Joints (Engineering); Maintenance; Materials; Measurement; Payment; Pipe; Recommendations; Specifications; Standards; Testing; Trenches; Underground structures; Valves; Water mains
- Old TRIS Terms: Germicides; Hydrants; Joint
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Construction; Finance; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Materials; Research;
- Accession Number: 00096522
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: MN HW5-180 74-8 Final Rept
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Jul 15 1975 12:00AM