FINAL REPORT, ACTION RESEARCH MODEL
In an effort to structure a behaviorally-based systems approach which will reduce litter to manageable proportions in any given community, a model (Action Research) was developed to identify and modify the normative system which tends to sustain littering behavior. Preliminary research identified the norms relating to littering, the dynamics of litter and the seven major sources, which together, constitute the operative normative system under study. The model brings 4 components to bear on the pressure points within the system. These measure are: sensible, comprehensive ordinances; modern sanitation equipment and practices for public and private use; continuous education to provide community residents with all the facts relating to littering and what is being done to control it; and effective enforcement of applicable codes. Field tests have demonstrated that the model has been effective in reducing litter accumulation by at least 60 percent in the first year. Results indicate that Action Research Model has produced a workable long-range solution to the littering problem.
Keep America Beautiful, Incorporated99 Park Avenue
New York, NY USA 10016
- Publication Date: 1975-12-3
- Features: Appendices;
- Pagination: 32 p.
- TRT Terms: Behavior; Coding systems; Education; Field tests; Law enforcement; Laws; Litter; Mathematical models; Public health; Public relations; Research; Sanitary engineering; Social values; Systems engineering
- Uncontrolled Terms: Models; Public support
- Old TRIS Terms: Community values
- Subject Areas: Highways; Law; Maintenance and Preservation; Research; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00131361
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 14 1976 12:00AM