BIKEWAY DEVELOPMENT STUDY
The Virginia Department of Highway and Transportation conducted a study on the feasibility of planning statewide bikeway systems and utilizing a portion of the state highway funds for this purpose. This report includes an Introduction, sections on planning of bikeways, design of bikeways, bikeway costs, funding of bikeways, conclusions and recommendations, an appendix, and a bibliography. A summary of the findings is as follows: 1) It was found that bicycling, both for commuter and recreational purposes, has increased greatly recently. For this reason, provision must be made for safer, more adequate facilities for bicycles; 2) The distinction between commuter and recreational bike facilities is clear, and funding for commuter bikeways may be undertaken by the highway department. Financing recreational bikeways, however, should be the responsibility of an appropriate state agency; 3) Bikeway planning should always originate at the local level. Joint efforts of the highway department and local agencies should continue; 4) Maintenance for completed bicycle facilities must be provided for; 5) A statewide system of bikeways is not currently recommended, due to physical planning problems; and 6) It is not advisable to allocate a certain percentage of the highway department's funds for bicycle facilities; rather, each project is considered separately and funds are appropriated accordingly.
Virginia Department of HighwaysTraffic and Planning Division, 1221 East Broad Street
Richmond, VA United States 23219
- Publication Date: 1974-10
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 110 p.
- TRT Terms: Bicycles; Bikeways; Budgeting; Commuting; Feasibility analysis; Local government agencies; Recreational facilities; State highway departments
- Uncontrolled Terms: Local agencies
- Old TRIS Terms: State highway budget
- Subject Areas: Finance; Highways; Pedestrians and Bicyclists; Planning and Forecasting; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00096519
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Jul 15 1975 12:00AM