CORRELATION OF THE TEXAS HIGHWAY DEPARTMENT CONE PENETROMETER TEST WITH UNCONSOLIDATED-UNDRAINED SHEAR STRENGTH OF COHESIVE SOILS
Correlations were established between the Texas Highway Department Cone Penetrometer Test and the unconsolidated-undrained shear strength for cohesive soils. Both field and laboratory investigations were conducted to obtain the data necessary to establish the correlations. The field investigations included seven borings taken at four different sites where the Cone Penetrometer Test was conducted and undisturbed soil samples were obtained. The Texas Triaxial Test and the ASTM Triaxial Texas were used in the laboratory investigation to obtain soil shear strength. Soils were classified and grouped by the Unified Soil Classification System. A reasonably good correlation was established between the unconsolidated-undrained shear strength Cu-values and penetration resistance N-values, particularly for homogeneous CH and silty Cl soils. Constants of proportionality between Cu and N, based on a linear relationship, were obtained for these soil groups. A correlation was also established for CH soils with secondary structure and for sandy CL soils, but there was more scatter in the data for these groups. Equations were developed which relate the unconsolidated-undrained shear strength, CUST, to the Standard Penetration Test resistance value, NSPT, for homogeneous CH, silty CL, and sandy CL soils.
- This research was sponsored by the Texas Highway Department and was performed in cooperation with DOT, FHWA, under the Research Study Title: Correlation of the THD Cone Penetrometer Test N-value with shear strength of the Soil Tested. See also Summary Report, PB-245068/2ST.
Arlington, TX United States 76011
Washington, DC United States 20590
Texas State Department of Highways & Public TranspP.O. Box 5051
Austin, TX United States 78763
- Hamoudi, M F
- Coyle, H M
- Bartoskewitz, R E
- Publication Date: 1974-8
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 135 p.
- TRT Terms: Cohesive soils; Cone penetrometers; Correlation analysis; Penetration resistance; Soil types; Triaxial shear tests; Unconsolidated soils; Undrained shear strength
- Old TRIS Terms: Soil classification systems
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Geotechnology; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00096515
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Research Rept. 10-1 Intrm Rpt., TTI-2-5-74-10-1
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Jul 15 1976 12:00AM