FUEL EFFICIENCY IMPROVEMENT IN RAIL FREIGHT TRANSPORTATION
Railroad diesel fuel conservation is becoming increasingly cost-effective. The price of diesel fuel has increased almost two and one-half times since the October 1973 Embargo. The estimated value of diesel fuel, if in short supply, is over 1 dollar a gallon. A comparison of the fuel performance of 10 selected railroads, before and after the Embargo, showed improvement in net-ton-miles hauled per gallon of diesel fuel. However, some roads used fuel less efficiently from an operating standpoint, as measured in gross-ton-miles per gallon. The most promising immediate avenue for conserving diesel fuel is designing train operating policies specifically to conserve fuel while continuing to provide desired schedule performance. Reducing horsepower-per-ton assignment to trains is a preferable strategy to that of reducing maximum allowable train operating speeds. The key to successful implementation is the appropriate short term regulation of the locomotive fleet. The basic diesel locomotive now used was designed during an era of plentiful fuel supply at a relatively low price. Many features can be improved to provide greater fuel efficiency. Corporate strategies need re-examination in the light of the high cost and uncertain supply of diesel fuel. The control of fuel must be improved and continencies for a fuel shortage should be planned.
- Sponsored by the U.S. Department of transportation Federal Railroad Administration.
Emerson Consultants, Incorporated30 Rockefeller Plaza
New York, NY USA 10020
- Cetinich, J N
- Publication Date: 1975-12
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 92 p.
- TRT Terms: Costs; Diesel fuels; Economic efficiency; Energy conservation; Freight transportation; Fuel consumption; Fuels; Locomotive utilization; Supply
- Uncontrolled Terms: Efficiency
- Old TRIS Terms: Diesel fuel costs; Fuel shortage; Operating strategies
- Subject Areas: Economics; Energy; Environment; Finance; Freight Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00131325
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA-OR&D-76-136 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1105
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 21 1976 12:00AM