EMBANKMENT-DAM ENGINEERING CASAGRANDE VOLUME
This volume, which honors Arthur Casagrande as teacher and engineer, presents eleven papers on a theme intimately identified with the teacher. A paper on "Field Tests for Compacted Rockfill" describes test quarries, test fills field density tests, grain-size analysis and relative density tests. The basic methods for controlling seepage are listed, and the need for a conservative approach to dam design which will resist seepage is emphasized in another paper. A limit equilibrium method is presented for computing the internal stresses and the average factor of safety of slopes. A paper: "Flow Through Rockfill" considers the effects of particle size and grading, and the paper, "Mechanical Properties of Rockfill" utilizes quantitative parameters describing the solid phase of garnular mass in the evaluation of contact forces. The nontechnical causes of shortcomings in earth and rockfill dams are reviewed, and the movements of articulated conduits under earth dams on compressible foundations are examined. The current state of knowledge related to earthquake-resistant design of earth dams is reviewed and illustrated. Recent experience with cracked dams is reviewed and evaluated, and a description is given of core contacts and preparation of rock foundations for embankment dams. The different types of earth and rock fill dam deformation are described and their measurement is discussed. A chronological bibliography is provided of Arthur Casagrande publications and reports.
John Wiley & Sons, Incorporated111 River Street
Hoboken, NJ United States 07030-6000
- Publication Date: 1973
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 454 p.
- TRT Terms: Bibliographies; Conduits; Cracking; Dam foundations; Dams; Earth dams; Earthquakes; Embankments; Failure; Field tests; Flow; Grading (Earthwork); Grain size (Geology); Pressure; Rockfill dams; Safety factors; Seepage; Slopes; State of the art studies; Structural design; Ultimate load design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Contact pressure; Grading
- Old TRIS Terms: Dam design; Dam failures
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways; Hydraulics and Hydrology; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00096411
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 15 1975 12:00AM