NS SAVANNAH, PHYSICS ANALYSIS OF THE PROPOSED MARVEL-SCHEBLER CONTROL SCHEME FOR CORE 1
Physics calculations for Core 1 in the N.S. Savannah have been made using one-dimensional (various codes), two-dimensional (TURBO), and synthesized three-dimensional (ZIP) analytical models. Items reported are power peaking, reactivity addition rates, rod worths, and core reactivity lifetimes for Core 1 without control and with control. A method for using the ZIP 3 code for a low enriched core (one that produces a considerable amount of plutonium toward the end of life) is discussed. Comparison of several one-dimensional studies is presented together with comparison of one-, two-, and three-dimensional studies. One-dimensional calculations predict a core life of 15,100 EFPH (effective full power hours) at 69 MWt for Core 1, while two-dimensional calculations predict 14,600 EFPH; both sets of calculations being made with no control. ZIP calculations at 69 MWt predict 12,800 EFPH with no control and 15,000 EFPH with control (measured performance plus the proposed M-S control scheme starting at 4,500 EFPH).
- This document is available for review at the Department of Commerce Library, Main Commerce Building, Washington, D.C., under reference number BAW-1297.
Babcock and Wilcox CompanyAtomic Energy Division
Lynchburg, VA United States 24504
- Alcorn, F M
- Turner, R A
- Publication Date: 0
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 73 p.
- TRT Terms: Control systems; Life expectancy; Nuclear powered ships; Nuclear reactor cores; Nuclear reactors
- Old TRIS Terms: Nuclear reactor control systems
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Society; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00026862
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: BAW-1297, Ca-7
- Contract Numbers: MA-3377, MA-3760
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 26 1973 12:00AM