RURAL SPEED/FLOW RELATIONS
Details are given of the data collection procedures used, the analysis technique applied, and the results obtained in a large-scale study of speeds and flows on rural roads. Formulae were derived for predicting the average speed of vehicles at different levels of traffic flow on different types of road, by relating observed speeds to observed flows and road layout characteristics. Conclusions based on the study are presented. These relate to the effect of traffic compositions on speed/flow relations, the effect of hilliness and bendiness, the lack of clarity in the speed/flow effect, the multiple regression analysis of the effect of flows of light and heavy vehicles, the relation between journey speed and total flow, and the variation in the speed/flow slope from one section of the road to another.
- Presented at Seminar X (Road Design 1: General Topics) of the PTRC Summer Annual Meeting, Warwick University, England, 8-12 July 1974.
Planning and Transport Res and Computation Co Ltd167 Oxford Street
London W1R 1AH, England
- Duncan, N C
- Publication Date: 1974-7
- Pagination: 39 p.
- TRT Terms: Compact automobiles; Curves (Geometry); Data collection; Forecasting; Formulas; Highway design; Mathematical analysis; Multiple regression analysis; Rural highways; Speed; Traffic flow
- Uncontrolled Terms: Data analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Climbing performance; Multiple regression; Small car
- ITRD Terms: 1037: Airport; 3882: Automatic; 2872: Bend (road); 643: Capacity (road, footway); 3874: Control; 8673: Digital computer; 132: Forecast; 2806: Gradient; 2885: Layout; 6473: Mathematical model; 6136: Measurement; 2752: Motorway; 744: Public transport; 328: Rural area; 5408: Speed; 1074: Terminus; 9079: Three; 689: Traffic count; 671: Traffic flow; 2827: Traffic lane; 9082: Two; 8119: United kingdom; 313: Urban area; 8122: Usa
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00096284
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: PTRC/P/108
- Files: ITRD, TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 10 1975 12:00AM