STUDY OF LARGE ELECTRICAL BUS BARS IN PROTECTED DUCTS FOR AN ADVANCED SHIP
The report outlines economic and other gains of an industrial bus duct system as a ship's electrical power distribution network and the special problems in a marine application. The study includes factors that influence utilizing a bus duct distribution system for ships, including electrical or structural problem areas and means of protection against injury. Consideration is given to the ships structure and providing physical protection of bus ducts. Watertight deck and bulkhead penetrations are discussed and illustrated. Extent of modification of standard electrical equipment for a bus duct type distribution system is considered. Several concepts of distribution methods are discussed and illustrated, according to degree of flexibility, selectivity and service continuity desired. Consideration is given to relative costs of each type of system, to the type of ship to which it is applied and to the severity of duty the system must accommodate with a minimum of service interruption. The study indicates that bus duct type distribution systems provide reduction of wireway runs, reduction of penetrations and identification markings, reduction in variety of cable sizes, improved maintenance and cleanliness conditions, reduced wiring problems in conversions, emergency conditions or new additions to the electrical installation.
- Prepared in cooperation with Maritime Administration, Department of Commerce, Washington, D.C.
Maritime Administration1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Stromsted, A J
- Morse, H D
- Carlaftes, P J
- Fitzgerald, J P
- Publication Date: 1964-11
- Pagination: 52 p.
- TRT Terms: Buses (Electricity); Ducts; Electric power; Electric power transmission; Electrical systems; Electrical wiring; System design
- Old TRIS Terms: Electric power system design; Electrical bus ducting
- Subject Areas: Energy; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00026777
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Contract Numbers: MA-3307
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: May 4 1973 12:00AM