ANALYSIS OF RISK IN THE WATER TRANSPORTATION OF HAZARDOUS MATERIALS
This report was prepared by the Risk Analysis and Hazard Evaluation Panel of the Committee on Hazardous Materials, Office of Chemistry and Chemical Technology, Assembly of Mathematical and Physical Sciences in response to a request from the U. S. Coast Guard for an assessment of the utility and feasibility of risk analysis as a set of techniques for assisting management decisions regarding the regulation of water transportation of bulk hazardous materials. The Panel surveyed a number of risk analysis studies, selected barge transportation on inland waterways for special study, and selected a probabilistic model of risk. In the course of the Panel's ongoing review of risk analyses, it became apparent that to develop a completely general risk model would require an impractical amount of time and resources. The Panel concluded that the greatest utility of the methodology, and perhaps the only practical one, lies in answering specific questions with output of a specific pre-determined nature. The report is an assessment of the utility of risk analysis as an aid in decision-making for transport of hazardous materials.
National Research Council2101 Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington, DC USA 20418
- Publication Date: 1976
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 190 p.
- TRT Terms: Barges; Hazardous materials; Inland water transportation; Marine transit; Risk analysis; Transportation; Water transportation
- Old TRIS Terms: Barge transportation; Hazardous materials transportation; Inland waterways transportation
- Subject Areas: Safety and Human Factors; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00130992
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Academy of Sciences
- Report/Paper Numbers: USCG-D-39-76 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-CG-41680-A
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 21 1978 12:00AM