SOIL SHEAR STRENGTH
The vane device offers a simple means for taking shear strength measurements of weak or sensitive clayey soils. So the engineer could better determine how to interpret the test data, this study was undertaken to clarify the influence of testing variables and of in-situ stress and strain conditions on vane shear strength data. The data clearly showed that the measured shear strength of a clay soil is dependent on the test speed. This dependence is probably a function of two independent variables--effective stresses and shear strength properties of the soil.
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Obermeir, S F
- Publication Date: 1975-6
- Pagination: 37 p.
- TRT Terms: Deformation curve; Effective stress; Sensitive clays; Shear strength; Vane shear tests
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00130711
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-73- 47 Final Rpt., FCP 24F1-024
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 21 1976 12:00AM