INVESTIGATION OF BULBOUS BOW DESIGN FOR "MARINER" CARGO SHIP
The final report of an investigation of the bulbous bow design for the Mariner cargo ship is presented, based on three separate reports. Report 1 is on preliminary calculations for the alternative Mariner (with-bulb) design. It consists of conditions for the "waveless" state, requirements by the Maritime Administration, an outline of calculations, and discussions on the results obtained. Report 2 gives further preliminary calculations, considering principal particulars and lines of Design M-4, capacity and stability calculations on Design M-4, discussions of results, and a proposal of a Modified Design M-5. The third report consists of resistance tests on 2.5 meter models and EHP estimation, including: a description of the models and the bulbs, test condition for the resistance tests, turbulence stimulation, and analysis of the test results and EHP estimation. Tables and figures are included in each section to comprise the bulk of the report.
- This document is available for review at the Department of Commerce Library, Main Commerce Building, Washington, D.C., under reference number ORA-05589-3-F.
University of Michigan, Ann ArborDepartment of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers
Ann Arbor, MI United States 48109
- Inui, T
- Publication Date: 1964-7
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 88 p.
- TRT Terms: Bows; Cargo ships
- Old TRIS Terms: Bow bulb configurations; Bulbous bows
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00026724
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt
- Contract Numbers: MA-2564
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 14 1973 12:00AM