INVESTIGATION FOR REPAIRS BY WELDING OF HEAT TREATED AND FLAME HARDENED RAIL IN BOLTED RAIL CROSSINGS
In 1952 a program was developed to provide for investigation of heat treated rail and flame hardened rail in crossing frogs by means of service installations followed by laboratory studies of welding techniques to be used in field repairs to worn and battered units. A contract was made with the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad for installation of three test panels of crossing intersections at Manheim, Illinois, each of the three test panels to consist of eight simulated crossing intersections three of carbon-steel rail, heat treated by various methods; three of flame hardened carbon-steel rail; one carbon-steel panel of control cooled rail (as rolled) and one panel of chrome-vanadium rail. The studies of welding techniques were carried out at the AAR Research Center and the University of Illinois. 1. The flame hardened units held up generally well following welding with electric procedures used as indicated in Table 5. 2. The gas welds on the flame hardened units were less effective than the electric techniques and must be considered to be inferior. 3. The three types of electric welds and two types of gas welds used on the heat treated units gave comparable results and may be considered as satisfactory. 4. The best performing weld on chrome-vanadium rail was the electric weld in the west panel probably due to the hardness obtained by the process used. 5. On the open hearth units the best performance was obtained with gas weld 1G on unit E8. It is difficult to appraise the poor performance of weld 2G on unit C8 as this weld procedure gave good results on the flame hardened and heat treated units.
- Conducted under sponsorship of AREA Committee 5 - Track.
Chicago, IL USA 60616
- Publication Date: 1964-11
- Features: Figures; Photos; Tables;
- Pagination: 14 p.
- TRT Terms: Flame hardening; Frogs (Railroads); Heat treated rail; Rail (Railroads); Rail steel; Railroad grade crossings; Welding
- Identifier Terms: Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad
- Old TRIS Terms: Chrome vanadium rail; Rail end batter; Rail metallurgy; Rail welding
- Subject Areas: Construction; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00095876
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Association of American Railroads
- Report/Paper Numbers: ER-51
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 24 1976 12:00AM