UNDRAINED BEHAVIOR OF EMBANKMENT ON NEW LISKEARD VARVED CLAY
The performance, including a failure, of two embankments in New Liskeard, Canada is analysed. The underlying 150 ft. (45.8 m.) of medium to soft varved clay is studied with respect to stability, undrained deformations and excess pore pressure distribution. Total stress stability analyses were performed with undrained strengths based on measured and corrected field vane strengths, the average UC and UU strength and SHANSEP strength parameters with and without anisotropy. Several approaches yielded satisfactory factors of safety and reasonable critical arcs. Effective stress analyses using pore pressures predicted from finite element analyses showed that either the effective stress strength parameters were much lower than those measured in the laboratory or the predicted pore pressures at failure were much too low. Undrained deformations and excess pore pressures at end of construction were predicted with the finite element program FEECON. The values were generally consisted with field measurements for an embankment located 200 ft. (61.0 m.) from the failure area. /FHWA/
- Study sponsored by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Department of Public Works, and prepared in cooperation with the U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration.
Massachusetts Institute of TechnologyDepartment of Civil Engineering, 77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA USA 02139
- Lacasse, S M
- Ladd, C C
- Barsvary, A K
- Publication Date: 1975-6
- Pagination: 58 p.
- TRT Terms: Computer programs; Deformation; Embankments; Failure; Field tests; Finite element method; Forecasting; Laboratory tests; Pore pressure; Safety factors; Saturated soils; Soils; Stability analysis; Strength of materials; Structural analysis; Varved clays
- Uncontrolled Terms: Field measurements; Undrained conditions
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00130687
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-76-S0445 Intrm Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: R23-0
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 29 1976 12:00AM