ANNUAL REPORT ON RAILROAD-HIGHWAY DEMONSTRATION PROJECTS
This first annual report reviews: (1) the provisions of Section 163 of the Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1973; (2) the instructions prepared for implementing those provisions; (3) authorizations, appropriations, and allotment of funds; (4) estimated funding needs; (5) a description, status, and estimated cost of each individual demonstration project; and (6) conclusions and recommendations. Progress during this first year of the demonstration projects was confined to the establishment of policies and administrative procedures at the Federal, State and local level and the initiation of preliminary engineering work in the various cities. Four of the projects involve the elimination of a single railroad- highway conflict, while the remaining eight involve the alleviation of more widespread railroad-community conflicts by the relocation and consolidation of railroad facilities within the city. At this point in the projects, the following recommendations are made: (1) because of the special-interest nature of these projects, no additional funds for these or similar demonstration projects should be authorized or appropriated; (2) the practice of deriving appropriations by transfer of funds authorized for other Federal-aid highway programs should be stopped; (3) appropriations for these projects should not be earmarked for specific cities; (4) additional authorizations of 70 or 80 million dollars will be required to complete these projects; and (5) the Federal share of the cost of these projects, which is now 95 or 100%, should be reduced to 70%.
- Referred to the Committee on Public Works and Transportation, January 14, 1975.
Office of the Secretary of Transportation1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1975
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 33 p.
- TRT Terms: Appropriations; At grade intersections; Cost sharing; Demonstration projects; Federal aid; Railroad grade crossings; Relocation (Facilities)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Fund allocations; Relocation; Removal
- Subject Areas: Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00130614
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: House Doc. No. 94-11
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 29 1976 12:00AM