COMPARE IN-SITU STRENGTH OF ASPHALT CONCRETE BASE (ACB) TO CEMENT TREATED BASE (CTB)
This report presents the results of plate bearing tests and deflection measurements comparing the relative in-place strengths of cement treated base (CTB) and asphalt concrete base (ACB). This research was performed to develop a K-value design chart for aCB to supplement the K-value design chart for CTB that is now in use in the California Highway Design Manual. Plate bearing tests were conducted on both ACB and CTB on highway project 05-Mon-1-R80.9/R85.0, and the in-situ K-values were compared with each other and with the current K-value design chart for CTB. The research utilized the ASTM Standard Plate Bearing Test. Based on the plate bearing tests, it was found that the K-value of ACB is approximately 12 percent lower than the K-value of an equal thickness of CTB, where both are on the same foundation materials. Deflection measurements were obtained with the Benhelman beam, the California Traveling Deflectometer, and the Dynaflect on several projects to compare in-situ strengths of various thicknesses of ACB and CTB. /FHWA/
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/19304762503633110
- Sponsored by California Department of Transportation and FHWA.
5900 Folsom Boulevard
Sacramento, CA United States 95819
- Weitzenberg, R W
- BUSHEY, R W
- Mathews, J A
- Sherman, G B
- Publication Date: 1974-12
- Pagination: 22 p.
- TRT Terms: Asphalt concrete; Base course (Pavements); Benkelman beam; Cement treated soils; Deflection; Deflectometers; Design; Dynaflect; Measurement; Plate bearing test; Strength of materials
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cement treated bases
- Old TRIS Terms: Design data; Test results
- Subject Areas: Design; Geotechnology; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00130610
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- ISBN: 19304-762503-633110
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-75-S0410 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: D-5-40
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Mar 29 1976 12:00AM