DEVELOPMENT OF GUIDELINES FOR THE APPLICATION OF CONTINUOUS TWO-WAY LEFT-TURN MEDIAN LANES
The objectives of this research project are to consolidate existing information on continuous two-way left-turn median lanes and to conduct before and after studies at sites which were selected in cooperation with the Ohio Department of Transportation. More specifically, the following tasks are to be addressed: (A) Evaluation of continuous two-way left-turn median lanes as a practical measure for increasing the capacity and improving the safety of multilane arterials by accommodating mid-block left-turns; (B) Recommendations and supporting rationale shall be prepared concerning selection criteria for the application of this configuration with due regard for safety and capacity. The research approach selected includes studies in four distinct areas: (a) Literature review; (b) A nationwide expert opinion survey, including some personal interviews; (c) A small scale simulation study; and (d) Before-and-after field studies. This interim report presents the results of the literature review and the opinion survey. Both the literature review and the survey indicate that two-way left-turn lanes work well in spite of a wide variety of methods of signing and marking. There is a uniform agreement that these lanes have excellent safety records and specifically head-on collisions are practically nonexistent. /FHWA/
- Sponsored by Ohio Department of Transportation in cooperation with FHWA.
Ohio State University, ColumbusEngineering Experiment Station, 2070 Neil Avenue
Columbus, OH United States 43210
- Nemeth, Z A
- Publication Date: 1975-7
- Pagination: 96 p.
- TRT Terms: Access; Before and after studies; Data collection; Highway capacity; Left turns; Median lanes; Multilane highways; Surveys; Traffic delays; Traffic safety; Two lane highways
- Uncontrolled Terms: Two way traffic
- Subject Areas: Design; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00130601
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: OHIO-DOT-14-T5 Intrm Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: 14264(0)
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 29 1976 12:00AM