EFFECT OF DIESEL FUEL PROPRETIES ON EMISSIONS AND PERFORMANCE
Tests were conducted with several production diesel engines and one prototype low-emission diesel engine to determine the effect of fuel properties on exhaust emissions and engine performance. Fuel cetane number was found to be the most significant fuel property; low cetane fuels resulted in higher hydrocarbons and oxides of nitrogen and increased noise. Conversely, higher cetane fuels produced lower emissions and noise, and also improved engine starting characteristics.
New York, NY USA 10017
- Broering, L C
- Holtman, L W
- Publication Date: 1974
- Pagination: 12 p.
- TRT Terms: Antiknock compounds; Diesel engines; Diesel fuels; Hydrocarbons; Nitric oxide; Nitrogen oxides; Noise; Performance; Pollutants; Properties of materials; Starting (Driving)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Starting
- Subject Areas: Environment; Highways; Materials; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00095771
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE No 740692
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 2 1975 12:00AM