EXPANSIVE AGGREGATE INVESTIGTATION
This is the final report on the investigation of expansion of asphalt concrete pavement. Various tests and measurements were made both in the field and laboratory. Tests included Stability, Cohesion, Specific Gravity, Immersion Compression, D.T.A., X-ray Diffraction, Expansion, Void Determination (Rice) and Modified Centrifuge Kerosene. It is concluded that there is a useful correlation between the Expansion test results and actual field performance. Attempts to correlate results from other test procedures, easier and more rapid to run, to results from the expansion test results were not as successful as hoped. However, the percent of absorption as determined by the Modified Centrifuge Kerosene Equivalent test correlated with the results from the Expansion test better than the other tests investigated. It is also concluded that lime slurry treatment of expansive asphalt concrete aggregate will reduce premature pavement cracking of the type that has occurred in northwestern California. /FHWA/
- This study is conducted in cooperation with the Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration.
5900 Folsom Boulevard
Sacramento, CA United States 95819
- Cechetini, J A
- Sherman, G B
- Publication Date: 1975-1
- Pagination: 31 p.
- TRT Terms: Absorption; Aggregates; Asphalt concrete; Calcium oxide; Centrifuges; Cohesion; Compression tests; Expansion; Field tests; Laboratory tests; Measurement; Pavement cracking; Pavement performance; Pavements; Performance; Slurry; Specific gravity; Stability (Mechanics); Testing; Void ratios; X ray analysis
- Uncontrolled Terms: Field performance
- Old TRIS Terms: Immersion compression test; Slurries; Specific gravity tests; Void
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways; Materials; Pavements;
- Accession Number: 00130572
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: CA-DOTTL-3113-4-7413Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: D-3-13
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Mar 29 1976 12:00AM