END CONNECTIONS OF PRETENSIONED I-BEAM BRIDGES
The study examines the use of embedded prestressing strand to develop positive moment continuity of prestressed, precast I-beam members. Bond of untensioned prestressing strands and connections utilizing untensioned strands were studied. Load determation and load embedment requirements of untensioned prestressing strand was studied. Three strand configurations were tested and evaluated: straight, frayed and bent 90 degrees over a reinforcing bar. Equations were developed which relate slip to applied steel stress for each configuration. Design equations were developed which relate the embedment length necessary to assure against general slip for a given steel stress. The influence of strand diameter, concrete strength, and containment reinforcing were found to be of little consequence. Six full-scale bent, untensioned strand connections were designed, fabricated and tested. The strength and deformation of the connections were related to the number and embedment length of the prestressing strand. The effects of standard diaphragm tie reinforcing was evaluated. A working stress design procedure with an ultimate strength check was developed for the connection. It was concluded that, using this procedure, untensioned prestressing strand can be designed to develop a satisfactory degree of positive moment continuity for precast, prestressed I-beam bridge super-structures. /FHWA/
- In cooperation with the Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration. Sponsored by the Missouri State Highway Department.
University of Missouri, ColumbiaDepartment of Civil Engineering, 2509 Engineering Building East
Columbia, MO USA 65211
Washington, DC USA 20590
Mississippi State Highway DepartmentP.O. Box 1850
Jackson, MI USA 39215
- Salmons, J R
- Publication Date: 1974-11
- Pagination: 61 p.
- TRT Terms: Bonds; Bridge design; Bridge superstructures; Bridges; Deformation; Diaphragms (Engineering); Equations; I beams; Loads; Precast concrete; Prestressing; Pretensioning; Railroad ties; Securing and joining equipment; Slip (Fluid mechanics); Steel; Stresses; Structural design; Testing
- Uncontrolled Terms: Continuity; Prestressing strands; Slips
- Old TRIS Terms: Diaphragms; End connections; Strands
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00130570
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-77- 14 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: 72-7
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Mar 29 1976 12:00AM