FOUNDATION DESIGN OF EMBANKMENTS CONSTRUCTED ON CONNECTICUT VALLEY VARVED CLAYS
The report encompasses three main subjects. These are: (1) Presentation of a general methodology for the foundation design of embankments, especially regarding construction on soft ground; (2) A summary and synthesis of the engineering properties of Connecticut Valley varved clays, with emphasis on anisotropic strength, deformation and consolidation characteristics; and (3) Specific recommendations for the foundation design of embankments constructed on Connecticut Valley varved clays within Massachusetts. The last topic includes field and laboratory test programs; procedures for executing stability, deformation and consolidation analyses; the use of preloading with sand drains and surcharge fills; selection of soil parameters for design; and supervision of construction and evaluation of performance. Use of theoretical analyses and normalized soil properties are illustrated via an example design problem. Chapter 8 of the report presents a detailed summary of the design recommendations. /FHWA/
- Sponsored by the Massachusetts Department of Public Works. Prepared in cooperation with the Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration.
Massachusetts Institute of TechnologyDepartment of Civil Engineering, 77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA USA 02139
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Ladd, C C
- Publication Date: 1975-6
- Pagination: 438 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Anisotropy (Physics); Consolidation; Deformation; Embankment foundations; Embankments; Field tests; Fills; Foundation engineering; Laboratory tests; Methodology; Properties of materials; Recommendations; Sand drains; Soil mechanics; Soil stabilization; Soils; Stability analysis; Strength of materials; Valves; Varved clays
- Uncontrolled Terms: Preloading; Soil consolidation; Soil deformation; Surcharge
- Old TRIS Terms: Anisotropy
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways; Materials; Research;
- Accession Number: 00130567
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-75-S0395 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-R23-0
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 29 1976 12:00AM