RESEARCH ON ROUTE DIVERSION PARAMETERS
This study seeks to determine the feasibility of the real-time diversion of traffic in an intercity corridor. Using the 30 mile corridor between Baltimore, Md. and Washington, D.C. as a study area, the research efforts initially focused on the topics of highway operation evaluation, incident detection, diversion policy and communication techniques. Because of the general lack of information of diversion signing techniques, a questionnaire study of 6600 motorists using the corridor was undertaken. The study found that motorists preferred signs presenting information on the length of congestion, congestion cause with exit instructions or the availability of suitable alternate routes. These findings were combined with the other factors related to real-time route diversion to develop a general structure for implementing such a program for the four major routes connecting Baltimore and Washington. While several technical problems would have to be resolved, the findings of this research could be utilized to upgrade the corridor operation. It is felt that if the growth in the Baltimore-Washignton corridor traffic continues, a real-time diversion program would be warranted in about ten years.
- Study sponsored by Maryland State Highway Administration and conducted in cooperation with the U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration.
University of Maryland, College ParkDepartment of Civil and Environmental Engineering
College Park, MD United States 20742
- Hall, J W
- Publication Date: 1974-12
- Pagination: 129 p.
- TRT Terms: Questionnaires; Real time control; Real time data processing; Route guidance; Signs; Traffic congestion; Traffic diversion; Transportation corridors
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00130556
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: AW-74-131-46
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 29 1976 12:00AM