SKID-RESISTANT CHARACTERISTICS OF EXISTING PAVEMENTS IN ILLINOIS
Over 8,300 skid tests were made between 1969 and 1971 at 404 sites on existing Interstate, primary, and county highways in Illinois. They indicate that textured portland cement concrete surfaces on two-lane highways can provide skid numbers (SN) above 35 throughout most of their 20-year design life as long as studded tire wear is negligible, but most multi-lane highways will need rejuvenating by grooving or by adding a friction course some time during their service life. Bituminous concrete surfaces generally have a lower value and a wider range of SN than PCC pavements. In northern and central Illinois, most two-lane bituminous concrete surfaces, which usually contain dolomite or crushed gravel, can provide an SN above 35 throughout most of their 15-year design life, while similar surfaces containing soft limestone in southern Illinois will need a hard skid-resistant aggregate blended with limestone to maintain an SN above 35. Also, multi-lane highways resurfaced with bituminous concrete will need a hard skid-resistant aggregate blended with or substituted for limestone to keep an SN above 35. Specific recommendations are included for improving skid resistance and for obtaining additional information needed for further improvement.
Illinois Department of TransportationBureau of Materials and Physical Research
126 East Ash Street
Springfield, IL United States 62704-4766
- Dierstein, P G
- SCHWARTZ, D R
- Publication Date: 1975-10
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 80 p.
- TRT Terms: Asphalt concrete; Concrete pavements; Multilane highways; Pavements; Portland cement concrete; Service life; Skid resistance; Skid resistance tests; Skidding; Surface treating; Two lane highways
- Uncontrolled Terms: Skid number
- Subject Areas: Design; Highways; Pavements;
- Accession Number: 00130538
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: ILL-PR-56 Intrm Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: IHR-86
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Mar 29 1976 12:00AM