SEXTANT HAVING NIGHT VIEWING CAPABILITY AND DIGITAL READOUT AND PORTABLE COMPUTER SYSTEM
The patent relates to a portable Celestial Navigation system using a hand-held sextant having night viewing capability and electrical digital readout of the altitude of celestial bodies, as by a shaft rotation encoder, coupled to a miniature, dedicated, special purpose portable computer. The computer, comprising an accurate clock and ephemeral data, such as the Nautical Almanac data, is programmed to combine all the data to solve the celestial navigation problem and compute a line-of-position of ships position.
Department of the NavyWashington, DC USA
- Feldman, S
- Ketts III, H C
- Publication Date: 1974-12-10
- Pagination: 7 p.
- TRT Terms: Celestial navigation; Navigational aids; Position fixing
- Old TRIS Terms: Position finding; Sextants
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00130513
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: PAT-APPL-312066 Patent, AD-D001 324/3
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 7 1976 12:00AM