RAIL TRANSIT CAR COSTS. A REVIEW ANALYSIS AND PROJECTIONS
The purpose of the report is to provide the elected officials and technical staffs involved in transportation planning in Southern California with some essential background data to the planning efforts for rail transit. Considering the lead time between planning and implementation and the current rate of inflation and technological advances being engineered into rail transit vehicles, this paper attempts to forecast car costs for rapid transit, commuter rail and light rail vehicles. The operational characteristics of each of the rail systems is discussed under System Characteristics. This includes headways, speeds, power etc., as well as, a tabulation of the equipment used by each operator and a summarization of system characteristics. The Analysis chapter looks at the division of the rail car market by the manufacturers. It also compares the expenditures made for each of commuter rail, rapid transit and light rail transit by City, by Transit Property and by Type of Equipment including a further breakdown for locomotive-hauled cars versus electrically-propelled cars. The Prognosis chapter attempts to forecast what cars will cost between 1975 and 1980 based on a complete documentation of all car orders between 1962 and the present. A major finding of the study has been the possible cost projection for the various rail car types in use throughout the U.S. and Canada and what the cost of equipment suitable for the Los Angeles area might be.
Southern California Association of Governments600 South Commonwealth Avenue, Suite 1000
Los Angeles, CA United States 90005
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1975-5
- Features: Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 158 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Commuter cars; Costs; Investments; Light rail vehicles; Maintenance management; Passenger cars; Rapid transit cars; Vehicle design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis; Maintenance costs
- Old TRIS Terms: Passenger car design
- Subject Areas: Design; Finance; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00095685
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-CA-09-0035-75-1Tech. Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 15 2003 12:00AM