EXPERIMENTAL TESTING OF A FROG OF THE TYPE P65 MARK 1/11 WITH A MOVABLE POINT FOR SPEEDS UP TO 200 KM/HR IN STRAIGHT LINE
EKSPERIMENTAL'NYE ISSLEDOVANIIA OPYTNYKH KRESTOVIN TIPA P65 MARKI 1/11 S PODVIZHNYMI SERDECHNIKAMI DLIA SKOROSTEI DVIZHENIIA PO PRIAMOMU NAPRAVLENIIU DO 200 KM/CH
The increase in train speeds through switches presents one of the most important problems in increasing railroad line capacity. Switches have until now limited speed due to their design characteristics. Variations in geometry at switch and frog, as well as wheel irregularities, leads to a significant increase in dynamic shock forces in the interaction between wheel and rail. The best design for switches are the P50 and P65 types, Brand I/II. These were tested at speeds up to 220 km/hr. Results revealed that (1) Stresses in the load-carrying elements did not exceed the permissible; (2) Changes in wheel paths through the switch did not exceed certain limits which are presented in tabular form; (3) The vertical and horizontal wheel forces acting on the rail of the switches are within Ministry of Railways specification; (4) Vertical accelerations on the journal boxes of the test train during movement through the switch and frog are practically identical. The report also presents information relative to characteristics of the test section, test train, plans for installing instrumentation and the apparatus used in the tests. Also included are data on stresses in the movable point, switch points and stock rail, stresses in the cast portion of the wing rail, stresses beneath the rail head on the chamber of the cast portion, variation of the wheel path, vertical and horizontal forces and vertical accelerations of the journal box.
- Abstract only is available in English, original untranslated as of November 1976.
USSR Ministry of RailwaysScientific Research Lab of Railway Switch Maintenance
- Publication Date: 1971
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 94 p.
- TRT Terms: Car wheels (Railroads); Force; Frogs (Railroads); High speed rail; Instrumentation; Measuring instruments; Rail (Railroads); Railroad tracks; Test tracks; Test trains; Train track dynamics; Wheels
- Uncontrolled Terms: Switches
- Old TRIS Terms: Track structures
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00130312
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Dec 1 1977 12:00AM