RESEARCH ON THE OPERATION OF A FROG WITH A CONTINUOUS ROLLING SURFACE. DYNAMIC TESTING OF A CROSSOVER WITH A CONTINUOUS ROLLING SURFACE
ISSLEDOVANIE RABOTY KRESTOVINY S NEPRERYVNOI POVERKHNOST'IU KATANIIA. DINAMICHESKIE ISSPYTANIIA PEREVODA S NEPRERYVNOI POVERKHNOST'IU KATANIIA V PUTI
To achieve high passenger train speeds a whole series of problems must be solved--the creation of rolling stock with improved suspension components, switches allowing such speeds and reliable and fast-acting signals with centralized traffic control and communications. Dynamic tests of frogs under the passage of a freight train moving below 100 km/hr showed high stability and allowed recommendation of this design for further testing. Dynamic testing of test frogs beneath scheduled freight and passenger trains showed: (1) The cast portion of the rail wing manufactured from high manganese steel has a sufficient safety factor; (2) The movable point manufactured from special profile ramp rails, in light of its capacity, has almost a double safety factor; (3) The maximum measured transverse movement of the wheels within the limits of the frog did not exceed 1.8 mm, with a mean of 1.1 mm.; (4) The transverse forces and stresses in the resilient points during the movement of the frog agrees well with calculations. Until these tests were carried out, the permissible speed straight through a switch was 160 km/hr and for the diverging movement 50 km/hr; further testing at speeds up to 220 km/hr can be recommended.
- Abstract only is available in English, original untranslated as of November 1976.
USSR Ministry of RailwaysScientific Research Lab of Railway Switch Maintenance
Lenin Institute of Railroad Transport EngineersLeningrad, USSR
- Publication Date: 1973
- Features: Figures; Photos; Tables;
- Pagination: 44 p.
- TRT Terms: Frogs (Railroads); High speed rail; Inspection; Railroad tracks; Tests; Train track dynamics
- Uncontrolled Terms: Switches
- Old TRIS Terms: Track component investigations; Track response investigations
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00130311
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Dec 1 1976 12:00AM