COMPARATIVE FUNDAMENTALS OF ELECTRIC AND DIESEL TRACTION
OSNOVNYE POLOZHENIIA SRAVNENIIA ELEKTRICHESKOI I DIZEL'NOI TIAGI
This report consists entirely of fifteen fundamental points of comparison of electric and diesel traction. Inasmuch as steam traction is significantly behind electric and diesel according to technical economic indices and its fraction in train operations is below 1%, the economic basis of railroad electrification consists in the comparison of electric and diesel. The choice of traction is a task which determines the increase of throughput capacity, train speed, and technical economic indices. The comparison is based on calculation, analysis, and comparison of the basic operational and economic indices of each type of power. There are also natural indicators which determine the choice: the locale of the line and the track network, the need for energy resources, locomotives and railcars, passenger service conditions, train speeds, and the conditions of development of energy systems and regional electric supply.
- Abstract only is available in English, original untranslated as of November 1976.
USSR Ministry of RailwaysNovo-Basmannaya, Ulitsa 2
- Publication Date: 0
- Pagination: 6 p.
- TRT Terms: Cost effectiveness; Diesel locomotives; Economic analysis; Economic efficiency; Electric locomotives; Electric power supply; Horsepower; Operations research; Railroad electrification; Railroad facility operations; Train operations
- Uncontrolled Terms: Efficiency; Line capacity
- Old TRIS Terms: Motive power; Train performance
- Subject Areas: Economics; Energy; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00130308
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Dec 1 2001 12:00AM