The various aspects are reviewed which influence the selection of the type and properties of the surfacings and materials, as well as their design, construction and rehabilitation. These are discussed within the framework of the structural requirements which include factors such as load dependent characteristics permeability and wear resistance. The operational requirements covered here include resistance to skidding and aquaplaning, spray reduction, improved riding quality, and reduction of tire-road noise. Characteristics of the most commonly used asphaltic surfacings namely, the dense-graded (continuous and gap-graded mixes) and open-graded types are examined. The design methods used are briefly reviewed and examples are given of criteria applicable in South Africa. The discussion of the materials used for asphalt surfacings, directs attention on aggregates, binders, bitumens and tars. Reference is made to the modification of the latter two materials to improve their performance. Important construction aspects are reviewed, the requirements of quality assurance are discussed, and comments are made on the performance of the types of surfacing described. Factors that need to be considered when surfacings are maintained are noted. Aspects such as process control, and statistical methods of quality assurance are covered, as well as the critical states with regard to maintenance.
- Conference on the Efficient Use of Bitumens, Asphalts and Tars as Paving and Construction Materials, Sydney, Australia, 2-3 December 1974; Session 4.
University of New South WalesSchool of Civil Engineering, Anzac Parade
Kensington, New South Wales Australia 2033
- Kuehn, S H
- Publication Date: 1974-12
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 26 p.
- TRT Terms: Aggregates; Asphalt; Binders; Bituminous materials; Bituminous pavements; Building materials; Driver rehabilitation; Durability; Flexible pavements; Hydroplaning; Loads; Noise; Pavement design; Pavement maintenance; Paving; Permeability; Riding qualities; Skid resistance; Surfacing; Tar; Tires
- Uncontrolled Terms: Rehabilitation
- Subject Areas: Environment; Geotechnology; Highways; Materials; Pavements; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00095560
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 29 1975 12:00AM