The design procedure based on estimated void content and average least dimension of an aggregate layer is presented in this paper on sprayed bituminous seals. Factors considered in this process (which is extensively used for single application and surface treatments which serve as seal coats), include nominal aggregate size, shape, crushed or screened products, spreading rate, aggregate texture and surface condition, binder, cutting and fluxing, effects of underlying pavement surface, pavement temperature and traffic compactive effects. Emphasis is placed on hot cut bitumen binders, and some reference is made to emulsified binders, slurry seals and seal coat combinations. The paper sets forth the fundamental propositions and discusses in detail the selection of aggregates. Basic assumptions, design procedures, adjustment of residual cold spray rate and recent design references are detailed. Discussions are presented on theoretical voids assumption and field control of binder viscosity. The functions, and selection of primers are discussed, and the control of processes (management training, plant, materials, records, safety, traffic control, and the neatness of the job) is described.
- Conference on the Efficient Use of Bitumens, Asphalts and Tars as Paving and Construction Materials, Sydney, Australia, 2-3 December 1974; Session 3.
University of New South WalesSchool of Civil Engineering, Anzac Parade
Kensington, New South Wales Australia 2033
- Andrews, J H
- Publication Date: 1974-12
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 35 p.
- TRT Terms: Aggregates; Aggregates by shape and surface texture; Asphalt; Binders; Bitumen; Bituminous materials; Bituminous pavements; Building materials; Compaction; Cutting; Fluxes; Heat flux; Pavement design; Sealing compounds; Slurry; Sprays (Materials); Spreading rate (Painting); Tar; Temperature; Texture; Void ratios
- Uncontrolled Terms: Aggregate shape; Aggregate size
- Old TRIS Terms: Bituminous slurry; Spreading rate; Void
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways; Materials; Pavements;
- Accession Number: 00095559
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 29 1975 12:00AM