RESOURCES AND ECONOMICS
"Asphaltic Bitumin in Australia," - which is the first paper in this session, discusses the history of bitumen supply, examines the interaction between bitumen specifications, availability, cost and price, and shows that small changes in specifications can cause large changes in availability and cost. This necessitates a continuing review of specifications to ensure the maximum economy of resources. Bitumen examination must give consideration to the whole road structure. A plea is made for the adoption of specifications based on fundamental engineering units. This will enable the designing of road structures on rational engineering principles. The availability of local materials is discussed as well as the possibility of upgrading desired characteristics of bitumen binders with materials such as sulphur, rubber and plastics. The second paper "Strategies and Economics in Using Bituminous Materials" - starts from the purpose of road pavements and service to the user, and identifies the kinds of pavement management strategies most appropriate in a condition of rapid change, and what the consequences are if efficient use is to be made of bituminous materials. It is deduced that most efficient construction and maintenance choices will be made if pavements are continualy monitored and the final selection of pavement treatment is made as late as possible. This implies that initial pavement design and construction must be consciously chosen to allow maximum freedon of choice when such maintenance or rehabilitation become necessary. By corollary, changes in design approach and in selection of bituminous and associated non-bituminous materials follow. In the field of economic choice for particular works, complementary changes in the balance between materials choice, design input and quality control result.
- Conference on the Efficient Use of Bitumens, Asphalts and Tars as Paving and Construction Materials, Sydney, Australia, 2-3 December 1974, Session 1.
University of New South WalesSchool of Civil Engineering, Anzac Parade
Kensington, New South Wales Australia 2033
- Kerr, D
- MAJOR, N G
- Publication Date: 1974-12
- Features: Figures; References;
- Pagination: 21 p.
- TRT Terms: Asphalt; Binders; Bituminous materials; Bituminous pavements; Building materials; Driver rehabilitation; Economics; Engineering; Monitoring; Pavement design; Pavement maintenance; Pavement management systems; Quality control; Specifications; Standards; Supply; Systems of measurement; Tar
- Uncontrolled Terms: Availability; Rehabilitation
- Old TRIS Terms: Engineering standards; Strategy
- Subject Areas: Economics; Highways; Materials; Pavements;
- Accession Number: 00095557
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 29 1975 12:00AM