LOCOMOTIVE AND CAR PART FLAW DETECTION
DEFEKTOSKOPIIA DETALEI LOKOMOTIVOV I VAGONOV
This publication presents the fundamental principles of ultrasonic, magnetic, color and luminescent flaw detection; briefly describes the conditons for the inception and development of defects in the more important components of electric locomotives, diesel locomotives, electric trains, diesel trains, and freight and passenger cars. Also presented are means for detecting fissures and metallurgical flaws in axles, crankshafts, pistons, wheel rims, drive gears, traction motor components and other rolling stock components. The book also covers the method of determining undesirable structures in metal axles, the fundamental data on ultrasonic and magnetic apparatus and indications on which should be used. The layout and operation of mechanized installations for inspection of axles is reviewed. This book is intended for workers in the facilities that maintain and build cars and locomotives who are involved with flaw detection of rolling stock components. The chapters are: (1) Magnetic particle flaw detection; (2) Inductive magnetic flaw detection; (3) Inspection using residual magnetization; (4) Principles of ultrasonic flaw detection; (5) Impulsive ultrasonic flaw detection; (6) Ultrasonic flaw detection of axles; (7) Automatic inspection of car wheelsets; (8) Ultrasonic inspection of transmission gears; (9) Ultrasonic inspection of diesel crankshafts; (10) Ultrasonic and magnetic inspection of diesel engine pistons; (11) Ultrasonic inspection of locomotive wheelsets; (12) Ultrasonic inspection of diesel-electric locomotive components; (13) Color flaw detection method; (14) Luminescent inspection method; (15) Fundamental problems of safety technology.
- Abstract only is available in English, original untranslated as of November 1976.
USSR Ministry of RailwaysNovo-Basmannaya, Ulitsa 2
- Publication Date: 1974
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 240 p.
- TRT Terms: Electromagnetic devices; Flaw detection; Freight cars; Inspection; Locomotives; Maintenance equipment; Nondestructive tests; Passenger cars; Ultrasonic tests; Vehicle maintenance
- Old TRIS Terms: Freight car maintenance; Locomotive maintenance; Magnetic inspection; Passenger car maintenance
- Subject Areas: Maintenance and Preservation; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00130217
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Nov 23 2003 12:00AM