ROLLER BEARING COMPONENT FLAW DETECTION
DEFEKTOSKOPIIA DETALEI ROLIKOVYKH PODSHIPNIKOV
During the operation of cars and locomotives with roller bearings, oscillations in the bearing components produce slight fatigue flaws which are invisible to the human eye. These can lead to bearing failures on the road with consequent journal failures. During maintenance of these bearings in shops, inspections of components may reveal only obvious defects. For detection of fatigue flaws in the early stages of development, a reliable technology of flaw detectors is indispensable. This booklet describes the fundamental principles of magnetic flaw detection for appraisal of roller bearing components during their repair. Included is a description of basic equipment in the shops for insuring highly reliable inspection. The brochure is intended for shop and maintenance workers concerned with flaw detection. Chapters include statement of the task; basic information about principles of flaw detectors; flaw detection equipment for freight car wheelsets and inner races of the roller bearings; disassembly of roller bearing components for inspection during overhaul; and magnetic particle flaw detectors.
- Abstract only is available in English, original untranslated as of November 1976.
All-Union Labor Red Banner Railway Research InstUSSR Ministry of Railways
Moscow B-174, USSR
- Berezhnoi, O D
- Gubanov, A M
- Publication Date: 1975
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 24 p.
- TRT Terms: Flaw detection; Inspection; Journal bearings; Journal boxes; Nondestructive tests; Roller bearings
- Old TRIS Terms: Hot boxes; Magnetic flaw detection
- Subject Areas: Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00130213
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Nov 23 1977 12:00AM