IMPROVEMENT OF DESIGN, PARAMETERS, AND QUALITY OF SWITCHES
SOVERSHENSTOVANIE KONSTRUKTSII, PARAMETROV I KACHESTVA STRELOCHNYKH PEREVODOV
This publication presents the following reports: (1) Contemporary status and prospective development of the design of switches; on the basis of current literature and the results of theoretical and experimental research an overview of switch design in the USSR and abroad is given. (2) Results of service tests of frogs of various types and brands; a methodology for evaluation of the durability of frogs. Highest indices developed on frogs strenthened by explosive hardening. Generally these average 1.5-1/6 times higher than that of standard frogs. (3) Reasons for formation of contact fatigue flaws in frog castings and ways of eliminating these. High manganese steel frogs were studied to develop the mechanism by which fatigue flaws are produced, also covered is evaluation of the chemical composition of the frogs, their mechanical properties, and the structure of the metal, as well as the effect of operating conditions on frogs. (4) Strength of the core of frogs which have been explosive hardened and the single and multiple stresses which are so produced. (5) Influence of the width of the flangeway of sharp frogs on the passage of wheelsets. (6) Research into influence of the flangeway of sharp frogs on rolling loads. (7) Definition of the optimum length of straight track segments between switches. (8) Definition of speed limits through complicated switchwork.
- Abstract only is available in English, original untranslated as of November 1976.
All-Union Labor Red Banner Railway Research InstUSSR Ministry of Railways
Moscow B-174, USSR
- Publication Date: 1971
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 121 p.
- TRT Terms: Alignment; Alloy steel; Frogs (Railroads); Life cycle analysis; Railroad tracks; Speed limits; Structural design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Fatigue analysis; Switches; Track design
- Old TRIS Terms: Explosive hardening; Track alignment
- Subject Areas: Design; Law; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00130211
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: No. 431 Proceeding
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Dec 1 1976 12:00AM