THE STRUGGLE WITH THE WEAR OF WOODEN TIES
IZNOS DEREVIANNYKH SHPAL I BOR'BA S NIM
This monograph lays out the results of research into the causes of the formation and intensity of the accumulation of mechanical flaws of wooden ties during their operation; it also determines the dependence of the accumulated depressions in the ties under the linings on the size of the pressures acting upon them and the quantity of their forces (the weight stress of the lines) including the influence of various operational and constructional factors. In addition it works out a method for predicting the output (capacity) of the ties according to depressions under the linings, and puts forth the new integral- probability method of evaluation of the strength of the wooden ties, based on the integral calculation of the accumulated flaws for a given period of operation of the ties. Also layed out in the monograph is the calculated apparatus corresponding to the practice of differentation of the bearing square linings and the density of the laying of the ties according to the weight tension of the lines. The book is intended for technical engineering and scientific workers of transportation management and economics. The specific chapters are: (1) Operation of the sleepers in the track; (2) Interaction of the sleepers with adjacent elements of the track; (3) Reasons for weakening of the sleepers in rail lining zones in the process of operation; (4) Struggle against the formation of depressions in the sleepers under the linings; (5) Irregularity of cutting internal and external ends of the linings into the sleepers; (6) Dependence of the intensity of accumulation of depressions in the sleepers under the linings from stresses; (7) Influence of work conditions, timber types, and operational times of the sleepers on the intensity of accumulation of depressions under the linings; (8) Influence of the dimensions of depressions in the sleepers under the linings upon the stress-deformed condition of sleepers and the sleeper foundation; (9) Methodology for calculation of the carrying capability of the sleepers.
- Abstract only is available in English, original untranslated as of November 1976.
All-Union Labor Red Banner Railway Research InstUSSR Ministry of Railways
Moscow B-174, USSR
- Lysiuk, V S
- Publication Date: 1971
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 224 p.
- TRT Terms: Axle loads; Ballast (Railroads); Deterioration; Inspection; Maintenance of way; Mathematical models; Railroad ties; Railroad tracks; Spacing; Stiffness; Stresses; Structural design; Tie plates; Traffic density; Wood ties
- Uncontrolled Terms: Track design
- Old TRIS Terms: Axle loadings; Ballast stiffness; Cross tie deterioration; Cross tie spacing; Track component investigations; Track stress; Wooden cross ties
- Subject Areas: Design; Geotechnology; Maintenance and Preservation; Operations and Traffic Management; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00130210
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: No. 445
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Nov 23 1976 12:00AM